Monday, September 14, 2009

I’m Coming Out of the Closet

I’ve made a decision. I’m coming out. I’m no longer afraid of the conversation. So here it is…

I’m a conservative. Openly and honestly, a conservative.

That’s it? Was that so tough?
Well, kind of… I guess it was tough. If it weren’t, why would I ‘hide’ my political ideology? Why would I avoid the conversation?

Last week, while on an eleven hundred mile domestic flight, I sat next to a very pleasant man that was returning home from a church mission trip. We sat and chatted about several topics for at least 2 hours. The conversation was engaging and enlightening. Some of the topics were ostensibly political, yet decidedly one sided. One sided, in that I did not show my cards. For example, on the topic of the exodus of American manufacturing jobs to China and India, I’d ask, “What do you think is the role of The Union in our loss of jobs in this sector?” I’d then digest his response and respond with a comment something like, “Interesting, very interesting”.

Or in a conversation about blacks moving into predominantly white neighborhoods, he’d say, “No way I’d live there… they don’t want us there… the cops are racists there”. And I’d say, “Wow. Interesting opinion”, instead of saying, “Hmmm. We have a very different world views…. the reasons you’ve cited are among the very reasons I’ve purchased 2 homes in predominantly white neighborhoods. I don’t think my race, bigoted opinions, or a cop’s ignorance should influence where I live” (by the way, the biggest factors in my choice of neighborhood have always been convenience and cost). Of course I could not, and did not say anything like that!

But why? Why so shy, Fred? How is it that right said fred, so vocal on this forum, could be ideologically emasculated to the point of passive denial? Truthfully, I’m not sure. But I have some ideas.

First of all, it’s not easy. It’s not easy to explain to someone why I feel the way I do. I’m much more comfortable doing so in print than in person. “Liberty and freedom should not stop at the city limits” is one of my personal mottos. It takes a long time to explain, and is so much easier when you have time to write down your retort.

Another reason… respect?
I guess so. This guy was older than me. He is also truly an African-American, where as I’m a naturalized African-American. I’ve been told (and it’s true), that I don’t have slave blood in me, and therefore, I can’t understand (not true). Anyway, the way I was raised, I must respect older, wiser folk. And that may mean not offending them.

I’ve got a lot of soul searching to do on this one. But no longer will I bite my tongue. Get ready, America – I’m out, and proud of it!

6 comments:

Steven Coates said...

I am glad you are embracing your conservationism and speaking up. Biting your tongue in these times can be painful. Its not easy being a conservative brother. When my brother in-law "came out of the closet", his family tried to stage an intervention to talk some sense into him. It was quite amusing. I am proud to say that he did not crack under the pressure! Conservative brothers unite!!!

Unknown said...

I heard you talk to Spencer Hughes on the Tom Sullivan show today. Very proud to hear how you evolved/came to be a conservative by recognizing the opportunities that this country provides rather than the slights...real or perceived that you have experienced. Nothing or no where is perfect...but this land gives you the best chance. Embrace being an American with no hyphen Brother American.

Pat said...

Right on, Fred!!! I found your blog because of your mentioning it on the Tom Sullivan show on Monday. I am so jazzed to "meet" you. I also am a conservative, and I also have great difficulty sharing that when I am in the presence of a liberal. It is so refreshing to know that there are people like you out there. More power to you!

Pat said...

I love that you made sure your 2-year-old daughter's hand was on her heart when the National Anthem was played.

Anonymous said...

I'm a conservative brother also. Keep it going RSF. I'm a conservative brother living in California, can you imagine how hard that is. When I mention I'm a conservative in a group setting amongst others of my persuation, I get looks as if I cursed someone's mother. Not to mention the anger that reveals it self. I just face it head on because I don't mind a good heated discussion. Most often the discussion goes away because they don't want to admit I make sense!!

Dwight

Light Up Your Life said...

Hello Fred!

I am glad to know you (cyber-wise that is). I too am a conservative--a very unique one too I might add.

Why?

Ok, here it is:

I am also a lesbian...and I am a Wiccan to boot. Even my lesbian lover (of 15 years next month) is a conservative and she is neither black nor white--she is an Asian.

So, this all just goes to show that anyone can be a conservative.

Great post and I will be adding you to my blogroll.

Have a great week.