Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fred Hates Babies

I called it. I told you back on November 5th ( Top Ten Predictions for Obama's First Term) that "baby love" is coming. I predicted liberal talking points and demonstrations about how "republicans hate babies". I was only mistaken in President Obama's delivery. Our President is nothing if not intelligent… he recalls how quickly public debate sent Hilary’s health care plan down in a ball of flames back in the early nineties. So this time, there’s a little sleight of hand going on. All of our attention is on this economic crisis while the best health care system in the world is transformed to socialized medicine.

Earlier this year, President Obama expanded SCHIP (State Children's Health Insurance Program). SCHIP is a decade-old Federal program intended to provide health insurance to children whose parents were too well off to qualify for Medicaid, but too poor to afford private insurance. SCHIP has morphed into a Trojan horse covering 30 year-old dead beats living in their parents’ basements.

I have no problem with kids and jobless Trekies having health insurance. I do have a problem with you and me having to pay for it. Where is it stated that your coverage is my responsibility? How do tax dollars being used to provide coverage make it more “affordable”? That is, how does this address the real problem, the expense of health care?

In an ironic twist, the Obama administration has raised cigarette taxes to pay for the SCHIP expansion. Didn’t they realize that the “economic stimulus” package contained about $200 million to get people to stop smoking? So if the stimulus bill is successful, where will the SCHIP money come from? Obama is on record stating that this SCHIP expansion is a “down payment” on government provided health care for all. I won’t be surprised when he tells us that we’ll pay for universal coverage through higher gasoline taxes, all while trying to get us off of dirty oil :)

6 comments:

Thesam27 said...

The best health care system in the world? Maybe you should try typing that phrase into Google before you try to say that title belongs to the United States.

Our health care system definitely has a number of strong points, but we spend more money per capita on health care than any country in the world and we still don't even rank in the top 10 in a number of key categories.

I'm not advocating a complete socialization of medicine in the US(and I don't think Barack is either), but I do think our current system needs to be completely overhauled in an effort to reduce costs and expand quality care to a larger percentage of our population.

I'll leave you with a quote from one of your favorite black conservatives:

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the most shocking and inhumane."

right said fred said...

Sam, I'm very familiar with the quote from Dr. King, and I couldn't agree more. Injustice in health care is inhumane. Where you and I differ though is in our idea about what to do about it. The government cannot solve the problem. They will spin up the administrative bureaucracy and bring bring the majority down to a common denominator that will be a whole lot worse than the current system. Is there not a way to provide insurance to the unfortunate few that does not involve the government?

The true problem is cost. You alluded to this fact in your assertion that, "we spend more money per capita on health care than any country in the world". And that my friend, is the problem.

Let's overhaul it, but in a way that will actually work.

Thesam27 said...

Did you Google that phrase? Do you still think that title belongs to the United States?

When did I ever advocate socialized medicine? I'm just glad we have a leader that is willing to address the issue and give it the attention that it deserves.

Year after year people are forced to deal with higher premiums and reduced coverage from their health insurance providers. Inaction over the last 8 years has not reduced premiums or increased coverage. What do you propose we do to fix this problem that continues to get worse?

right said fred said...

Sam, if a doctor told you that he'd have to cut off your big toe to remove a bunion, would you give him credit for "addressing the issue"? I contend that a bureaucratic solution is a flawed solution, and bound to be worse than what we have.

In any endeavor, there must be motivation to succeed, and punishment for failure. This is how it works in nature, capital markets, and just about anywhere else that there's success.

I'm not an expert - I do know what I don't want though. As for my solution? Right back at you Sam, google the phrase "conservative health care plan". Enjoy the education.

Thesam27 said...

You still haven't addressed my question about how you decided that the United States has the best health care system in the world. Are you going to address that or just keep avoiding it?

right said fred said...

Sam, who's blog is this? Mine or yours? I get to decide what's discussed, not you! :)

If one were to give grade every country on:
-availability of emergency care
-preventative care access (even for the poor)
-preventative care quality
-infant mortality rate
-general mortality rate
-cost of access
-access to prescription drugs

and so on, and so on. Add all those scores up and see who comes out on top. My experience is that the U.S. is the best place to get sick or need a doctor.

Again, the problem is not health care access. That is a symptom of the cost problem!

And to be repetitive again :) I have no problem with health care for everyone. I do have a problem with the government providing it. They can't do it right!